Student Transportation FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is eligible for transportation service (busing)?

Eligible riders are students who live outside of the school walk limits and are attending their catchment schools. Students with diverse abilities are also categorized as eligible. Eligible riders receive service at no charge.


  • Elementary School – 3.2 km
  • Middle School – 3.2 km
  • Secondary School – 4.0 km

Transportation is also offered to non-eligible, or Courtesy, riders on a first come, first served basis.

What are walk limits?

Walk limits are outlined as follows:

  • Elementary School K to 5 – Busing is available to elementary students who live 3.2 km or farther from their catchment school.
  • Middle School 6-8 – Busing is available to middle school students who live 3.2 km or farther from their catchment school.
  • Secondary School 9-12 – Busing is available to secondary school students who live 4.0 km or farther from their catchment school.

Who is a courtesy rider?

A courtesy rider is a rider who lives within the walk limits (3.2 km for elementary and middle schools; 4.0 km for secondary schools) and is granted bus service if/when space is available on a bus route that has been established for eligible riders. Courtesy riders will use stops already established on bus routes.

How does the District decide who rides?

  1. Students with complex, special and/or unique needs as determined by the Learning Support Services Department.
  2. Elementary & middle students living outside the walk limits of their catchment school.
  3. Students force-transferred to a school outside their catchment.
  4. Secondary students living outside the walk limits of their catchment school.
  5. Elementary & middle students attending district programs*.
  6. Secondary students attending district programs*.
  7. Students living within the walk limits to their catchment school

*Refers to specific district programs as outlined by the District Board; does not refer to ALL district programs

Does the District provide transportation service for students with diverse abilities?

Consideration for the transportation of students with diverse abilities and special needs will be done on a case-by-case basis. 

Please speak with your child’s school support team for details

When can I register my child for transportation service?

Please go to to register. Detailed instructions are provided in written and video form.

The registration deadline for the September bus service is August 11th. Registrations received after this deadline will not be processed until October.

When will I find out if my child has qualified for transportation service?

If your child qualifies for busing, an email will be sent during the last week of August informing you of the busing details.

If your child does not qualify for busing, the Transportation Department will contact you during the summer break before the last week of August.

What do I need to register my child for transportation service?

You will need your child’s pupil number. Most students in grades 6 - 12 will know their number from signing on to their schools’ computers. If you do not know it, please contact your school’s administrative assistant.

Who do I contact if I have questions or concerns regarding busing?

  • If you require assistance while registering your children for busing, please contact your school office.
  • If you have questions or concerns about your child’s busing, the Transportation Department can be reached at
  • If you would like to speak to someone about school bus fees, please contact the Finance Department at 604-859-4891 ext. 1262 or

What do I do if our family moves in the middle of the year?

  • If you move and no longer require busing, please inform the Transportation Department in writing at
  • If you do not cancel your busing registration, you may continue to be charged for services.
  • If you move and still need busing, click this here to register your child for the school bus at your new address location.
  1. Go to the bus registration website and complete registration with new address.
  2. The Transportation Department will email you to inform you whether accommodations can be made for your new address. This may take up to 5 days.

Can band instruments be carried on to the bus?

If an instrument is small enough to sit comfortably in the student’s lap, it will be allowed on the bus. If the instrument is large and infringes on another rider’s seat or requires it’s own seat, it will not be allowed on the bus.

School Buses are designed to safely transport students and their backpacks, a school bus is not meant for transporting equipment, supplies, sports gear, etc. When equipment and students are mixed within the bus, everything and anything can become a projectile and can become very dangerous potentially causing serious injury in the event of an accident.

Cancelling School bus service for your child(ren):

If you no longer require the school bus service, please contact Transportation by email to cancel. Otherwise, payment will be expected. 
The Transportation Department does not take cancellations over the phone.