Freedom of Information
Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
The Freedom of Information & Protection of Privacy Act is a Provincial Government Act. The purpose of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act ( 'FOIPPA') is to maintain accountability to the public and to protect personal privacy by giving the public a right of access to records, where permissible, and giving individuals a right of access to, and a right to request correction of, personal information about themselves.
The Act applies to all records in the custody or under the control of a public body, subject to exceptions identified in the Act. The Abbotsford School District is a public body as defined in the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Category of Records Available without Request
Before Submitting Your FOI Request
- Learn more about Freedom of Information.
- Ensure that you are seeking records, not information or answers to questions. Pursuant to Section 71(1) of FOIPPA, please also see: Categories of Records Available without a Request.
- Ask the public body that you believe holds the records if they have them, and if copies can be released to you informally. If they don’t have the records, ask if they know whether another public body has them.
- Check if the records you want are publicly available on Open Information or DataBC.
- If the general records are held by a B.C. government ministry or the Office of the Premier, submit your FOI request through their website, using the FOI General Request online eForm (recommended) or by a letter sent by email, fax or post to Information Access Operations.
- Describe the records that you request clearly and concisely to simplify the search and minimize potential fees. Broad, complex requests take longer to process and increase the likelihood of large fees for service being charged to you. Provide a date or date range for the requested records (if applicable).
- Select or clearly identify the ministry from which you are requesting records.
- A non-refundable application fee of $10 is required for all General requests. There is no application fee for personal FOI requests.
Submitting your FOI Request
- Complete the FOI Request Form: Request for Access to Records
Mail or Email (recommended) a copy of your FOI Request Form to Tracy Orobko, Freedom of Information & Protection of Privacy Officer.
- Mailing Address: Abbotsford School District, 2790 Tims St, Abbotsford, BC, V2T4M7
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org