You are here

Student Transportation FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is eligible for transportation service (busing)?

Eligible riders are students who live outside of the school walk limits and are attending their catchment schools. Students with diverse abilities are also categorized as eligible. Eligible riders receive service at no charge.


  • Elementary School – 3.2 km
  • Middle School – 3.2 km
  • Secondary School – 4.0 km

Transportation is also offered to non-eligible, or Courtesy, riders on a first come, first served basis.

What are walk limits?

Walk limits are outlined as follows:

  • Elementary School K to 5 – Busing is available to elementary students who live 3.2 km or farther from their catchment school.
  • Middle School 6-8 – Busing is available to middle school students who live 3.2 km or farther from their catchment school.
  • Secondary School 9-12 – Busing is available to secondary school students who live 4.0 km or farther from their catchment school.

Who is a courtesy rider?

A courtesy rider is a rider who lives within the walk limits (3.2 km for elementary and middle schools; 4.0 km for secondary schools) and is granted bus service if/when space is available on a bus route that has been established for eligible riders. Courtesy riders will use stops already established on bus routes.

How does the District decide who rides?

The Abbotsford School District Board of Education referenced Board Policy 17 - Conveyance of Students to establish priorities for student transportation services:

  1. Students with special and/or unique needs as determined by the Learning Support Services Department, including First Nations students.
  2. Elementary & middle students living outside the walk limits of their catchment school.
  3. Students force-transferred to a school outside their catchment.
  4. Secondary students living outside the walk limits of their catchment school.
  5. Elementary & middle students attending district programs*.
  6. Secondary students attending district programs*.
  7. Students living within the walk limits to their catchment school

*Refers to specific district programs as outlined by the District Board; does not refer to ALL district programs

Does the District provide transportation service for students with diverse abilities?

As outlined in Board Policy 17 - Conveyance of Students

"2.2 Where recommended by the Director – Learning Support Services and the Transportation Manager, students with special needs will be given transportation to and from school. The Director – Learning Support Services, in consultation with the Transportation Manager, may consider deploying a Teaching Assistant to allow the student to be transported safely.”

Please speak with your child’s school support team for details and registration instruction.

When can I register my child for transportation service?

Bus registration for the 2021/2022 school year is now open.

Please go to to register. Detailed instructions are provided in written and video form.

The registration deadline for September bus service is August 16th. Registrations received after this deadline will not be processed until October.

When will I find out if my child has qualified for transportation service?

If your child qualifies for busing, an email will be sent during the last week of August informing you of the busing details.

If your child does not qualify for busing, the Transportation Department will contact you during the summer break before the last week of August.

What do I need to register my child for transportation service?

Please ensure your child’s information on MyED BC is up to date. The email address you use to register for busing must match your email address in MyED BC. Email or call your school office to make changes.

You will need your child’s pupil number. Most students in grades 6 - 12 will know their number from signing on to their schools’ computers. If you do not know it, please contact your school’s administrative assistant.

Who do I contact if I have questions or concerns regarding busing?

  • If you require assistance while registering your children for busing, please contact your school office.
  • If you have questions or concerns about your child’s busing, the Transportation Department can be reached at school.bus [at]
  • If you would like to speak to someone about school bus fees, please contact the Finance Department at 604-859-4891 ext. 1262 or finance [at]

What do I do if our family moves in the middle of the year?

  • If you move and no longer require busing, please inform the Transportation Department in writing at school.bus [at]
  • If you do not cancel your busing registration, you may continue to be charged for services.
  • If you move and still need busing, please change your address in our registration system.
  1. Go to the bus registration website, and sign in using the username and password created when you registered your child(ren) for busing.
  2. Click on the tab at the top of the page with you child’s name on it.
  3. Click on the word “Busing” underneath the name tabs.
  4. Enter your new address.
  5. Enter the date the bus service from the new address is to start in the “Date to Commence Riding” box.
  6. Click on green “Register / Updated Busing Info” button at the top of the page.
  7. Click on green “Submit Changes” button at the bottom of the page.
  8. Follow steps 2-7 for all your children.
  9. The Transportation Department will email you to inform you whether accommodations can be made for your new address. This may take up to 5 days.

Can band instruments be carried on to the bus?

If an instrument is small enough to sit comfortably in the student’s lap, it will be allowed on the bus. If the instrument is large and infringes on another rider’s seat or requires it’s own seat, it will not be allowed on the bus.