The purpose of this procedure is to ensure that every reasonable effort is made to conserve energy and natural resources within the school district. This is in keeping with the districts fundamental commitment to environmental sustainability.
1.It is the collective responsibility of all district personnel to live sustainably. This includes:
1.1.Modeling an encouraging a culture of energy and resource conservation in our schools.
1.2.Educating students such that they will develop an innate responsibility to conservation both insideand outside of the school district.
1.3.Supporting educational initiatives, programs and activities that teach students the skills, knowledge and attitudes needed to live and work in an environmentally sustainable way.
2. The fulfillment of this mandate is the joint responsibility of all staff. The Secretary-Treasurer (ordesignate) shall establish a climate change mitigation plan that includes, but is not limited to, the following components:
2.1 An Energy Management plan focused on finding the most efficient, effective and economicalway to use energy in district operations. Key elements to be considered as a part of this plan include:
- Heating, ventilation, air conditioning systems
- Building automation
- Renovation and new construction
- Renewable energy opportunities
2.2 A green house gas reduction plan that is in keeping with Government of BC’s Carbon Neutral Government mandate.
2.3 Purchasing policies that encourage suppliers to meet or exceed the district’s environmental management standards.
2.4 Mechanisms to regularly assess and continually improve the district’s environmental sustainability performance.
2.5 Mechanisms to report progress to the Board on energy management and sustainability on an annual basis.
3. The Director of Facilities (or designate) will be responsible for managing all expenditures, and forformulating and implementing the energy management plan and greenhouse gas reduction plan.
4. The Director of Facilities (or designate) will be responsible for tracking and monitoring energyconsumption, and for coordinating energy management and sustainability activities with principals/vice-principals, teachers, support staff, and students.
5. The school principal will facilitate energy management programs at the school. Efficient use of thevarious energy systems of each school will be the joint responsibility of the principal and the Director of Facilities.
6. Teachers and support staff will use a variety of curricular materials to provide the opportunity forstudents to participate in energy management and sustainability initiatives.
(Last Revised: June 2018)