The purpose of this procedure is to define conditions for the safe and appropriate use of School District facilities by the public (with the exception of the Abbotsford Arts Centre; see AP 511 - Public Use of the Abbotsford Arts Centre).
1. All user groups will arrange their booking(s) through the district’s School Rentals Office.
2. A non-transferrable rental agreement will be issued to the user in charge, who must be 19 years of age or older, and who will be responsible for the actions of the group, the terms and conditions of the booking and costs related to the rental.
3. School facilities are rented on an as is basis and users use the building at their own risk. School equipment is not included in the rental.
4. The district will not incur any costs associated with a rental.
5. Advertising through the school or on school property is not permitted.
6. Rentals will only take place at times when school’s activities are not disrupted, and allocation of space is based on the following priority of use:
6.1 School and District Programs/Events
6.2 Community (youth and adult) groups: Programs are free to low cost and run by volunteers
6.3 Non-Profit Societies/Churches (Certificate of Incorporation is required).
7. Schools are not available for business/commercial use except at the discretion of the Secretary-Treasurer, for private functions such as birthday parties, weddings, banquets, funerals, for protests, political purposes or for gatherings that, in the opinion of the Board, are controversial. The district will not be in competition with businesses in the community offering these facilities and services.
8. Film crew requests are subject to the approval of the script and subject matter of the film. Film crews are required to obtain a filming license from the City of Abbotsford prior to booking with the district. The location manager may obtain prior approval to make changes to buildings or grounds. The area must be returned to its original state.
9. During the period October to May, schools are available weekdays, 6:00 to 10:00 PM and weekends, 8:00 AM to 10:00 PM. The types of rooms and permitted activities are shown below:
|School||Available October to May||Types of Rooms|
|Gyms, non-specialty classrooms, library, cafeteria (excluding kitchens), theatre.|
|Gym, multipurpose room.|
10. Rentals are automatically cancelled on statutory holidays, school breaks, Halloween, Christmas Eve/Day, New Year’s Eve/Day, and October/February Pro D Days.
11. Winter weather conditions, power outages or emergency situations may cause an unforeseen closure.
12. Closed schools are not available for use.
13. School fields are booked by the Abbotsford Parks, Recreation and Culture Commission and user groups should contact them directly.
14. Rentals will not take place unless a School District custodian is on site. When the regularly scheduled custodian is not on duty, the rental request will be subject to the availability of casual custodial staff and the cost will be added to the rental.
15. Ongoing rentals may be arranged for the period October to May. Requests must be submitted in the summer and will not be confirmed or finalized until after September 20.
16. By June 30, principals must reserve dates and times required for school activities for the upcoming school year. By July 15, regular user groups must submit renewal applications for the upcoming school year.
17. During the school year, processing times vary based on volume of requests. Requests are processed in the order they are received and must be submitted a minimum 14 business days before the first booking.
18. Smoking/vaping, and the consumption of alcohol or illegal substances is not permitted on district property.
19. Formal application must be made to the Secretary-Treasurer to secure exemption to any rental policies and procedures including waiving of rental fees.
- AP 409 – Use of District Assets
- AP 511 – Public Use of the Abbotsford Arts Centre
- AP 515 – Commercial Advertising and Solicitation of Funds
(Last Revised: June 2019)