School Based Mangement
The purpose of this procedure is to clarify the boundaries of site-based decision making throughout Abbotsford School District.
- The fundamental principle which underpins school-based decision making is that instructional decisions related to student learning are best made by those closest to the student.
- Notwithstanding this principle, it is understood that schools and departments operate under the corporate direction of the Board of Education, as vested in the Superintendent of Schools.
- All schools must operate within the boundaries of:
- The School Act and other laws related to education;
- The policies of the Board of Education;
- The duly signed collective agreements with Teamsters Local 31 and the Abbotsford District Teachers’ Association; and
- The administrative procedures established herein under the authority of the Superintendent of Schools:
- Human Resources
- Facilities and Transportation
- Learning Support Services
- Communications and Corporate branding
- In keeping with the above parameters, the superintendent delegates authority to the principals and department administrators to fulfill the educational mandate of the district.
- It is the responsibility of the principal to establish structures and procedures to appropriately meet the needs of the students within their care. Key areas of responsibility for principals include:
- Establishing and monitoring annual goals for school improvement
- Resource allocation and monitoring to ensure alignment with the school’s educational priorities
- Developing and maintaining a safe, caring and orderly learning environment.
- In areas where responsibilities are unclear, it is expected that all staff will seek clarification from their immediate supervisors.
Last Revised: May 2013