Singing of the National Anthem
The purpose of this procedure is to promote loyalty to Canada and to develop a spirit of patriotism in students through the singing of the national anthem.
- Schools are required to teach students the words to ‘O Canada’ and the respectful behaviour to be observed during its singing.
- School assemblies will have the Canadian flag displayed conspicuously in the assembly hall. The words of the National Anthem may also be displayed.
- The Canadian National Anthem will be sung at the beginning of every formal school assembly. In dual-track schools, the anthem, or portions thereof, should be sung in both official languages.
- The Canadian National Anthem will be sung by all K-Grade 8 students at least once a week in either English or French. This is optional at the secondary level.
- During the singing of ‘O Canada’, all assembled should face the Canadian National flag.
- Hats (caps, etc.) will be removed for the singing of the Canadian National Anthem, as a sign of respect.
School Act, Section 189 (1.2)
School Regulations, 5(10 and 5(11)
Last Revised: July 2017